Friday, April 15, 2011

Five Things About Jake

1.  A couple mornings ago Jake asked me if he could have coffee or tea with his breakfast.  I told him he could have tea; I don't see where decaf is going to do him any harm.  Yesterday morning he said, "Could I have some tea with my breakfast?"  Sure.  This morning he said, "I guess I'll go make my tea now."


2.  We now have a little dinner tradition.  Someone - and it's different every night who starts - makes three statements about themselves.  Those statements can be about anything - favorites, looking most forward to..., dislikes, good things about the day - whatever they come up with.  We go around the table and everyone states their three things that begin with that same phrase.  Last night Mike said, "My favorite clothing is....".  Jake's favorite clothing is his robe and pajamas.  This kid LOVES his robe.  He's been known to sleep in his robe and it's the first thing he grabs in the morning.  I have to admit: it's the softest robe I've ever seen and I wouldn't mind having one either.

3.  In the tradition mentioned in #2, if there is something that is a favorite Jake says, "My favorite ______ is ______.  But I also like ________."  He can never list just one thing.  The last couple nights Mike and I have told him he has to make ONE decision; he can't have two favorites. 

4.  For as stubborn as this kid is - he can't make a decision to save his life.  I'm not great at this either and both Mike and I are determined to make him responsible for his own decisions.  Besides, we aren't dumb...this way he can't blame us for "choosing the wrong thing". 

5.  Today was "Culture Day" at school.  What is this?  Dress as your favorite culture?  Dress as your own culture?  I said, "Well Jake, I'll guess you'll go to school dressed like an American boy."  That seemed a little too "Everyday-ish" so we decided to add a little spin to it. 



We may have turned it into "Heritage Day".  But, he's wearing flags that represent the different aspects of his heritage with a big American Flag representing who he really is.  I assume these paper flags will be torn to pieces within the first two hours of school.  Afterall - he is an American BOY.

No comments: