Friday, January 25, 2013

Ice Cream Stop

When we are in Iowa, we ALWAYS make sure to hit the local ice cream parlor that Mike worked at through high school: Whitey's Ice Cream.  During our Christmas stay in December we were so busy that I wasn't sure we were going to get a chance to stop in.  On our drive out of town, Mike looked at me with raised eyebrows, "Do we stop?"  It was 10:10am.  Whitey's had been open for 10 minutes.  We decided 10:10am was as good a time as any to have a lunch break.



Inside we were able to meet up with Mike's former boss.  She pretty much runs the show and because not many people were there at 10:10am, we were able to talk a little longer.  She's been with Whitey's for, I believe, 30+ years.  She's always so friendly and I just love that she recognizes us and takes a minute to catch up each time we see her.  (Our kids stopped by without Mike one time and she even recognized them without him along!).

After all these years I was able to snap a picture of Mike and her together...


We grabbed our large shakes and malts and hit the road after this.  Have ice cream, will travel!

2 comments:

Carol said...

I'm pretty sure it would have been a loooooonnnnnnnng ride home if you hadn't stopped for ice cream.

Sheri said...

She is adorable. And I completely agree with your Mom, it would have been a LONG ride home without an ice cream stop! I am really enjoying your weekly round up updates. So fun to get to see a piece of of your life each week. <3