Saturday, May 11, 2013

Confirmation Sunday

Last Sunday was a special day in our house - Maddie was getting confirmed at church.

My friend took over the first service so we didn't have to rush getting ready in the morning - that was so wonderful!  Mike and I got up and got cooking so that when everyone came for lunch things were ready to go.  Maddie was up early so we weren't rushed to do her hair.


She, Jake and I had gone shopping the week before and she had picked out this dress which she loved and found some pretty spring jewelry to go with it.


And I have a new favorite picture of us.  Though I'm kicking myself that we didn't have Jake take a picture of Mike and I with her.


We arrived a little early for pictures.  I didn't work too hard here as a professional photographer was there.  Soon we'll have nice pictures of the day, but these were just ones I took so that we'd have something for the blog.


My sister is Maddie's godmother; they have a special bond.


During the ceremony, Mike, Tracy and I went up to the altar with Maddie and gave her a blessing Mike and I had written.


Afterwards, the Pastor also gave a blessing to Maddie.


She chose 2 Corinthians 5:7-8 as her confirmation verse: "For we walk by faith, not by sight.  yes, we are of good courage, we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord."


After the ceremony everyone headed back to our house for some lunch.  We weren't quite as prepared as we thought we were, but hopefully we didn't hold up anyone too long!




Maddie and I had purchased a Dairy Queen cake the day before - a big one.  I went to the freezer in the basement to take it out to start thawing a little before I thought we would need it.  It wasn't in the freezer.  I asked Mike where it was and he said it was in the fridge.  I was happy that he had thought to take it out a little early.  When I looked in the fridge, there it was....extremely melted.  I might have started to hyperventilate a little.  It turns out that when I asked Maddie to take it downstairs she had put the ice cream cake in the refrigerator rather than the freezer.  Rob suggested it was still okay in the middle (and he also might have been laughing pretty hard over this all...) but I said there was no way we could serve it.  Mike suggested I just go back to Dairy Queen and buy another one and I just stared at him.  Then he suggested HE go back to Dairy Queen and buy a second one which I thought was a much better idea since I'd bought the first one.  We ended up with a cake about half the size but everyone got a piece so all's well that ends well, I guess.

Maddie's best friend was able to attend the events with us; that was really neat and Maddie was so happy to have her there.


 We had a little gift opening.  One of the little cousins came up to me and said, "Gift opening?  But it's not her birthday!!"


Afterwards Ashley gave a little pre-concert of her recital pieces she was going to play that night.


It was a really nice day and we were so thankful that our family (and friend!) were able to be there to support Maddie on a special day!


No comments: