Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Cinnamon Roll Cake

I found a new blog I'm liking the looks of: The Girl Who Ate Everything.  As you can probably guess, it's about food.  She posts great pictures; especially in the dessert section.

On Friday Maddie and her friend, Elizabeth, came here after school and I assigned them homework: bake something for our guests that night.  They looked over the blog and after several vetoes from at least one of us, there was unanimous agreement that the Cinnamon Roll Cake would be the test run.


This cake was completely made from scratch so I was a little dubious as to whether they would be able to easily follow it.  


No problem there!  I think there are four steps listed for the cake.  They didn't even use a hand mixer (I really did offer one!).  One of these girls is a swimmer, the other plays volleyball; apparently their arm muscles can handle the work.


They really made it look super easy to make. Then they put it in the oven...

Oh.  My.  Good.  Gracious.

The smell in our kitchen was amazing.  Cinnamon rolls are one of Maddie's top two favorite foods (the other being whipped cream).  It was heaven to her.

The results?  Despite it being close to 5pm when they finished, I let them actually taste their results with about a 2-inch-square piece.  I'm generous like that.


Just like a cinnamon roll, it's topped with a bit of glaze.  Fresh out of the oven and with warm glaze?  Well, I think I've found my new favorite cake.



They were even kind enough to share with their siblings.  


We finished most of the cake that night with our guests and I think everyone agreed it was tasty.  I didn't think to warm it up before serving it, but I believe I will next time.  

This is definitely going into our books with a note that Maddie is in charge of baking it!

2 comments:

The Pats said...

Sounds delicious. Jake's expression lokes like "I can't believe I ate the whole thing." Probably dating myself here.

Bree said...

Hello! I just found your blog through Pinterest and I used your tutorial from October, the Thankful decorated board, on my blog this morning! You can view it here.. http://thethingaboutjoy.blogspot.com/