Friday, September 7, 2012

Back at It

"It" being a schedule...

Tuesday was the start of school here and we had an awesome summer.  I can't say that I was overly excited to start back to school.  I can't say the kids were overly excited either.  Mike might have been a little excited about having a slightly quieter house to do his work in, but I think overall we were all okay with the having summer last a little longer.

However...I am happy about a schedule returning to things.  Or rather, us returning to a more set schedule.  I think a lot of parents are when it comes to this time of year.


Maddie's in 8th grade now and her bus comes a little after 7am.  Today was actually the first day I haven't driven her to school.  It also marks the first day she wasn't on crutches in school.


Her first week back was a little different.  A friend in class walked her to her next class to help with carrying books.  She was allowed access to the elevator to make things easier.  A couple days ago she said they were having problems getting the elevator to work.  Her friend got the Assistant Principal who took the key from Maddie and hit the "up" button about 15 times until it finally registered.  Then he stuck them in the elevator and told her friend to use her phone if they got stuck on the next floor.  Maddie said that he yelled the school's number as the doors were closing.  She said that didn't give them much comfort on that next ride but they made it to the floor.


Jake started 5th grade this year - his (and our!) final year of elementary school!  His bus comes a little before 8am.  So far he's managed to miss it once and almost miss it another time.  I don't know what our problem is, but hopefully next week we get things figured out.


He has been BEGGING us to let him wear his new school shoes since he got them at the beginning of August.  I think he has asked everyday to be able to wear them and has come up with a million excuses as to why he can't wear his old shoes.  This was one happy kid when it came time to put these on for school!


He said he likes his class.  He came home and said, "It's a good class.  It's like we've all known each other a long time...".  I told him that was good since they've almost all been going to school together for the past 5 years.  He hasn't had much homework yet.  This morning he said he was nervous that his teacher was saving it all for the weekend.


Mike and I didn't get a chance to get our golf outing in.  It was a combination of a couple things.  One, the place we purchased a Groupon to was going to be closed Tuesday and two, Mike didn't take the day off.  I guess he figured since he'd taken the previous week off that he should get back to his emails.  So, we are hoping to take a future day off to hit the links.

My students had this week off so I had vacation.  I managed to get a couple projects done - one which I'm loving every single day more and more and I'll post it on here at some point.  Next week is back to work for me too and we can say everyone will be back on schedule.

Here's to a great year!

No comments: