Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Pops Concert

I have been back at the Middle School the last couple weeks practicing with the choirs for their final concert of the year.

This concert was their "Pops" Concert and featured those types of songs.  This year the 6th graders did a lot of Michael Jackson songs.  If I don't hear "We Are the World" for a few years, I'm good.  They also did a couple medleys from Broadway that I loved.  

The 7th graders sang a slew of older type "Pops" tunes.  I wasn't sure they were going to be able to pull it off, but they all peaked at the right moment - this was definitely their best concert!


The normal dress code for concerts is white shirt, black pants.  The kids had to keep that dress code, but add a "splash of color".  Maddie's Select Choir didn't wear their regular red shirts, but instead dressed all in black with a bit of color or could wear a colored shirt and black pants.


Mike tried to get the Select Choir video taped, but his phone died and we hadn't reviewed how to take videos with my camera.  It's too bad.  Their songs were SO great.  They floor me that it's all 6th and 7th graders and there are only about 40 of them.  Their last song was "Seasons of Love" from "Rent" and at the end their teacher had tears - it really was that good.  I guess when she turned to the audience to bow Jake leaned over to my mom and said, "Wow grandma, she cried faster than you!"


And how awesome is my girl?  We had to be there from 5:30 to after 9pm.  Everyone was on their own for dinner between concerts.  Maddie ate early, but I had to teach from the time I got home from school until 5:30.  She packed me a bag "dinner" including a note!  She gets a note in every meal, and I always wonder if she really likes them.  I have to say...those are just as fun to get at 38 as they were when I was 10!

No comments: