Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Signs of Fall

Since I updated everyone last spring as to what constitutes sure signs of Spring around our house, I thought I'd give you an idea of what makes up our Fall signs.

It starts with this.  This is actually a panic sign for us:


Most Autumns start with this:


Because of this past summer's agriculture experiment, these are also signs of fall.  I had forgotten about cleaning this out until Mike reminded me this weekend:


Actually I forgot about them beginning in late August.  I was done watering at that point, I guess.

Of course, the big fall project is to close up the pool.  Here are some images you'll find at our house on pool closing day:

The buckets and boxes of pool closing supplies and tools:


Piles of worms waiting for the deep freeze from winter.  They couldn't afford cryogenics.  You should see the bag of worms the pool cleaner actually sucked up.  But I don't have a zoom lens and I didn't actually want to seem them any closer.


Our cover has been like this for a couple days.  This is so the water can drain out and it doesn't freeze during the winter while it's stored under our deck.


Because of the cold and possible freezing temps, Mike had to run our pump the night before so no lines froze up.  This meant water was sucked out the bottom of the pool and refilled from the sides like little waterfalls.  Except these waterfalls caused excessive foam.  I wonder how that will freeze this winter?

And this will give everyone an idea of how much water we have to empty out.  Everyone assumes we have to empty the whole pool, which isn't true.  And usually we don't have to refill it because the melting snow gives us the perfect amount of water each spring.


Sunday was chilly here.  I bet it was in the lower 40s when Mike started this project.  His hands were in and out of the water for a solid hour.  I asked what he thought the water's temp was and he guessed around 50 or lower; our thermometer stops registering under 60 degrees.  He didn't think it felt that cold; I think his hands were just too numb to tell. 

But, I didn't touch it.  My mom didn't raise a fool.  She raised her girls to be strong and confident...and slightly spoiled.

Once he starts blowing out the lines he has to get all the excess water out of the skimmers.  This involves cups...


(Side note:  doesn't that tossed water look like a face?  Two eyes...a nose...disfigured jaw?  Isn't there some Sigourney Weaver movie that involves a water creature?  If you think I actually saw that movie, you are crazy.)

It also involves squeezing out sponges...


Occasionally it involves sucking out the water through a hose.  He did that when I went to grab something he requested.  I think he did it on purpose because when I turned around and went to take a picture he said, "You don't seriously think I'm going to do that again, do you?  I don't think I was supposed to do it the first time."


Blowing out the water lines takes awhile.  After the skimmer is emptied he starts putting in the secret ingredient:  RV Antifreeze.


Then we sit and wait some more while the rest of the lines build pressure from the compressor.  This is Mike's chance to warm up; he's actually wearing gloves...


I would have built a fire, but whatever.

Anyway, when the lines start to sound like they are going to explode he has to lean over and open them so the water can blow out:


And then he sits and waits until the pressure builds up again.  This is repeated until we see the RV Antifreeze start to come out the lines.

Then it's on with the cover and your wife requests that you hurry up and take a shower so we can get family pictures taken while the light is still good.

No rest for the weary.

No comments: