Friday, December 11, 2009

Purse-onalized

On my birthday (way back in October - 22nd for those interested in this trivia for next year) I went shopping for some fabric to make myself a purse.  I had a big hobo bag that I liked but 1)it was silver and not really my style and 2) it was falling apart.

After an exhaustive search I found a pattern for a bag that I thought would work well and be easy enough to follow since I don't understand patterns too well at all.  But, I knew that my mom would be available for back-up if I just asked.

I ended up finding two sets of fabrics that I loved and couldn't choose between the two.  Luckily it was my birthday so I bought them both.

A few weeks ago my mom and I started sewing this bag.  Actually, I took everything to my mom's and sat beside her as she did all the work.  I did cut the fabric from the patterns.  She kept asking if I wanted to sew, but I assured her I was fine watching and I'd be sewing the next purse by myself so this was a good way for me to learn the ropes.


Isn't it pretty?  I thought it might be a little small but I'm liking the size.  The only thing we left out was the interfacing that stiffens the sides and strap.  Somehow we completely missed that.  There were 30 pages instructions - I can't imagine how we skipped over it.

I did do something on it.  See the zipper?


I sewed in the zipper.  See how wrinkled and puckery it is?  That's going to be my new trademark. 

If you are interested, there's also a more detailed pattern.  Between these two we were able to fully understand the directions.  We were also able to miss the interfacing, so don't do that.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to actually making the next purse.  Anyone interested in joining in or coming over for a good laugh, let me know when you are available.

Mom - you will be on speed dial.

1 comment:

Sue H said...

That's a pretty cute bag! Can't wait to see your next one...