Thursday, December 24, 2009

A Peak Under the Tree

A few years ago my mom said that she was going to make a quilted tree skirt for each of her kids.  We happened to be getting a new tree and skirt so we opted to purchase one of those cheap white ones that we would only be using for one year.

The next year my mom hadn't gotten to finish the tree skirt, so we used the white one again.  I'm not sure how long this went on, but it's been awhile.  Mike had gotten to the point of dropping large hints to my mom throughout the year that were so subtle.  "So...how's the tree skirt coming?"  or "We'll be putting up our tree soon..."  I'm sure she wanted to smack him.  But, he hated that white tree skirt.

This year my mom answered that she would definitely have our tree skirt finished by Christmas.  She had a lot of it sewn, but she had gotten to a point where she didn't know how to finish it.  She attended a weekly sewing group with a friend and those ladies helped her figure out how to finish it. 

Right after Thanksgiving mom arrived at our house bringing a brand new tree skirt and coffee to celebrate this accomplishment.  Mike wasted no time in tossing the white tree skirt.  It's so much prettier under our tree than the dollar one we had before! 

A very cool heirloom to have from my mom!  She said she's going to start on Dan and Tracy's too.  No rest for the weary.




In a related story...Mike figured out how to keep the little monsters from shaking their presents.


2 comments:

The Pats said...

What a gorgeous tree skirt. Carol did a great job too!

Sue H said...

I was starting to get a little misty over the tree skirt story, then I saw the last picture, and about fell off my chair! Too funny...