Monday, December 21, 2009

Saturday with Santa

On Saturday we headed out to see Santa.  We decided to try something new this year because 1)I'm not sure Nordstrom's offers their free, high-fiving, Santa and 2) I wanted a normal Santa.

Last year my sister-in-law mentioned that Bachman's has a free Santa each weekend.  I looked it up and there were several shows on Saturdays and Sundays.  We got there at 10:45 for the 11am show.  If you ever plan to go, get there early as seats fill up quickly.  We didn't actually get a spot, so thank goodness my kids were a little taller.

The show started with an elf doing a little magic demonstration which the three of us enjoyed.  Then they had a little storytime and afterward was a time to take your own pictures with Santa.

When Santa arrived during the show Maddie leaned over to me and said, "Mom!  I think that's our Santa!"  I looked and sure enough there stood the Santa from Nordstrom's that we missed last year and who we had overheard someone at the store say had died.  I was very happy to see he was alive.

During the storytime, Santa and his elf invited the kids up to sing with them.  Maddie didn't want to go at all.  Jake wanted to go, but not alone.  So Maddie groaned, "Ugh....f-i-i-i-n-e" and headed up without looking back.  I pushed Jake forward and he wouldn't budge.  He changed his mind and decided that no matter what he wasn't going up.  Maddie got to the front and looked up and saw that Jake wasn't behind her.

She did not look happy.  And there was no where for her to go.

Of course, I took pictures. However I was instructed that they were NOT to go on the blog.  I promised I wouldn't put the pictures I took on the blog.

So I shall illustrate for you....
Maddie stood about a head taller than every kid up there.  She did not look to have the Christmas spirit at all.

I also just noticed that Santa doesn't have any arms. 

Anyway - she lived through it and I gave her a little hug when the kids were released back to their parents.  She might have elbowed Jake in the side, but honestly he kind-of deserved it.

The beauty about having to stand in the back was that we got to be near the front of the line for Santa so it didn't take too long to get to see him.  However, it was more of a take-your-picture-no-time-to-talk moment.  It might just have been my kids.  I think he talked to some of the younger kids.  But, Jake and Maddie both told me they were a little disappointed that they didn't really get to talk to him.

(I am allowed to show you this photo.)


Here's our recommendation if you want a free Santa picture:

1.  Skip the show part.  It lasts about 30 minutes.  It's cute, but it's 30 minutes.
2.  Show up for the 11am show at around 11:30, possibly 11:45.  If you get there at 11:30 go to the side where there's a green ramp.  That's where the line starts for Santa pics.  I bet they were going to be done around 11:45, so if you got there around then, you might get more time to actually talk to Santa since they wouldn't be trying to shove people through.
3.  Be prepared that Santa isn't dressed in a traditional Santa suit.  I've self-interventioned myself and I'm starting to be okay with this.  Except for crazy elf shirts and socks.  Those still drive me nuts.

No comments: