Thursday, January 28, 2010

On the Clock

This morning Maddie asked if she and Jake could have some friends spend the night Friday.  I told her no and she was disappointed.  I didn't want her to think I was just saying "no" to say "no" so I explained:

"Guys.  Dad and I are working a bit overtime to get the laundry room ready in time for Sadie.  That's two weeks and we have A LOT to do.  Yesterday, starting as soon as you left I worked on the cabinets all day."

THEN...I realized I was talking to Maddie AND Jake.  Jake doesn't appreciate estimates.  He wants exact.  So, I modified it and said,

"As soon as you left, I worked on them for five hours.  When dad finished his regular work last night, he worked on them another two hours after me."

Thinking I had averted any argument I was pretty happy with myself.

Then Jake said, "But mom...we are in school for six hours."

I just stared.  I couldn't believe it.  I replied (through clenched teeth), "You are right, Jake.  I forgot.  I also went to Cub and Sam's Club.  There's my extra hour."

Jeez.  It's like clocking in and out with the bossman.

No comments: