Thursday, April 22, 2010

Grillin' Season

Last weekend Mike made a new first - he grilled ribs on the spit for his grill.

After much research, he chose a Memphis Rub from "The Barbecue Bible".  I was a little disappointed because I'm a ribs-with-sauce kind of girl.  This is a dry rub.  But we are always telling Jake to try new things so it was time to practice what I preached.  (I hate those moments.)

By the way - if anyone runs across "Sweet Paprika" could you let me know where you found it?  The rub called for that and we only had regular Paprika.

Here they are all set up and ready to start cooking.


Do you know what he originally tried to do?  He was going to take my insulated jelly roll pan (of which I have only one) and lay it on the grill to catch the drippings.  I saw it there and gave him the evil eye.  He said, "I need something to catch grease - can I use this?"  I told him he certainly could as long as he bought me a new one.  Then I remembered these super cheap pans which were going to be returned to Target anyway.  These are now the official grilling pans and we are both happy.

Anyway - two hours later they looked like this:


Except they weren't on fire.  Honestly, I'm not sure where that flame came from because I never saw a flame when I took this picture. 

That's right - "Photographer for hire - doesn't miss a detail!"

Soon these babies were on the table and we dug in.  Jake has a deep-seated fear of fat.  But even he managed to find some pieces that were edible for him.  Maddie was shocked by how spicy these were.  Mike was surprised too.


Me?  I thought they were kind of sweet and gobbled them up.  I had taken a different section than Maddie and Mike.  I guess mine had the most brown sugar which wasn't a bad thing.  By the time I got to my second helping, I was in agreement that they were getting spicy.  But we managed to eat all but about 1/4 of a section.

Mike took notes for the next time around; which will include actually finding Sweet Paprika.

And I'm excited for this weekend because he's going to try Beer Can Chicken.  I plan on getting out of at least one meal to cook each weekend!

No comments: